Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tweeting The Numbers

Whenever I go to places like Noodles & Company, where they give you a number while you wait for your food, I always try to think of athletes who have that number. I know, I'm a dork. But it got me thinking recently - what are my favorite athletes by jersey number? Well, I got curious, and whenever I get curious, as my wife so often reminds me, I make a spreadsheet. So that's what I did. I made a spreadsheet with my favorite Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, Rockies and BU ice hockey players by number, with a column for other random players as well. And since there's obviously a lot of numbers, we're going to do this twitter style - every number spelled out in 140 characters or less, complete with runners-up (runners-up will be listed in that same order - Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, Rockies, Terriers, random). Tonight - #'s 00 through #10.

#00, Robert Parish. "Chief" was showstopper, from his rainbows, to decking Laimbeer, to having a lb. of weed shipped to his house.

#0, Walter McCarty. Apologies to: Leon Powe. I still love Waltah, but Leon Powe "Da Monstah" may have trumped him had he stayed.

#1, Bobby Doerr. Apologies to: Reggie Lemelin, Jamey Carroll. Loved reading about him in "The Teammates," req. reading 4 Sox fans.

#2, Troy Tulowitzki. Apologies to: Doug Flutie, Carl Everett, Eric Gryba. Fun to watch in the field & at the plate. Future MVP.

#3, Dennis Johnson. Apologies to: Stephen Gostkowski, Jody Reed, Eric Young, Jr., Tony Amonte, Ryan Whitney. "Fiddlin & diddlin!!"

#4, Adam Vinatieri. Apologies to: Bobby Orr, Sherman Douglas, Jackie Jensen, Sean Sullivan, Chris Webber. Adam edges Orr slightly.

#5, Nomar Garciaparra. Apologies to: Kevin Garnett, Carlos Gonzalez, Tom Poti. Nomar never won it all but he captured post-strike RS Nation.

#6, Bill Russell. Apologies to: Gord Kluzak, Johnny Pesky, Brian Collins. Only way to top a Shrewsbury native is to have 11 rings.

#7, Trot Nixon. Apologies to: Phil Esposito, Dee Brown, Dom DiMaggio. The original Dirt Dog was as New England as a Carolina boy can be.

#8, Antoine Walker. Apologies to: Cam Neely, Carl Yastrzemski. I'll never forget 'Toine b*tch*ng out the tm in Gm 3. Best. Comeback. Ever.

#9, Ted Williams. Apologies to: Rajon Rondo, Vinny Castilla. Not only greatest hitter ever, but smart enough to write a good book about it.

#10, Rich Gedman. Apologies to: Dmitri Kvartalnov, JoJo White, Dante Bichette, Dave Silk. Worcester native & the Rocket's catcher.

Next Up: #'s 11 through 20.

No comments: