Friday, December 03, 2010

Handicapping the Rockies Roster, Part 1

With the non-tenders last night, and the trade for Jose Lopez, here is my guesstimate for what the Rockies roster would look like if the season started today:

1 SP Ubaldo Jimenez
2 SP Jorge De La Rosa
3 SP Jhoulys Chacin
4 SP Felipe Paulino
5 SP Aaron Cook
6 RP Matt Belisle
7 RP Rafael Betancourt
8 RP Matt Daley
9 RP Franklin Morales
10 RP Matt Reynolds
11 RP Esmil Rogers
12 RP Huston Street
13 C Chris Iannetta
14 1B Todd Helton
15 2B Jonathan Herrera
16 3B Ian Stewart
17 SS Troy Tulowitzki
18 LF Seth Smith
19 CF Dexter Fowler
20 RF Carlos Gonzalez
21 Bench Michael McKenry
22 Bench Jose Lopez
23 Bench Chris Nelson
24 Bench Ryan Spilborghs
25 Bench Eric Young, Jr.

A couple of notes. This is strictly based on who is currently on the 40-man roster, with the exception of Jorge De La Rosa. While De La Rosa hasn't officially resigned, I slotted him in there anyway, as it seems that his contract has reached the formality stages.

You'll notice that Jason Hammel is not listed. My early prediction is that he gets moved this winter, or loses his spot in Spring Training. He could end up in the bullpen again, but I think it's starter or bust for him, and he may net a prospect or two in a trade in late March, similar to how the Rockies acquired him in the first place.

At second, I have Herrera listed, but it really could/should be an open competition. I don't believe that the trade for Jose Lopez automatically means that he will start at second, and I think Chris Nelson deserves a look as well. Eric Young, Jr. did very little to show that he deserved a starting nod, so for me there would be a gap between him and the other three.

I think that at this point the roster is mainly set. With all of the non-tendered relievers, I could see a reliever being added to challenge Daley and Rogers, and I hope to see another starter added to challenge Cook, Hammel and Paulino. I think it is likely that a back-up catcher could factor in, though I would stick with McKenry and spread the extra money around elsewhere. Finally, another bench bat could be added, something that would jeopardize the roster spot of Nelson or Young. I think with the trade of Barmes and the acquisition of Lopez, you have to consider Herrera safe for now, as the Rockies don't have another legit backup shortstop. The last time Lopez played shortstop was 2004, so I don't think he is a viable option there.

I'll look to update this more with each passing transaction. Also, look for a similar series of posts on the Red Sox roster soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Francis signs with the Mets watch him blossom into a star!