Monday, April 11, 2005

The Boys Are Back In Town

Great 8-1 win today. Too many good things happened. Wake on a roll. Good outing for Mantei. Just a great day to be at Fenway Park. I'm supremely jealous of all 36,000 or so who got to attend today's festivities at the greatest little ballpark there is. Top 10 moments of the day, Letterman style:

10) A-Fraud's errors. When he made the one that led to runs 5,6, and 7 I was on the phone with a Rockies customer who exclaimed, "Oh the billionaire made an error? Aww, I'm so sad for him!" Ha.

9) Joe Castiglione on the field. Who's better than Joe Castiglione? If there is, I'd like to meet 'em.

8) No speeches from the ownership or Theo. They made it about the players, and I enjoyed that.

7) You knew that Dr. Charles Steinberg had a trick up his sleeve. Today it was "Davvvvveyyyyy, Davey Roberts, King of the Wild Frontier!" Did I mention I love Ellis Burks also? I do.

6) Bill Russell's first appearance at Fenway in 40 YEARS! That's awesome.
5) The moment of silence for Dick Radatz. Several years ago, when I worked at The Souvenir Store, The Monster was at the store for one of the live feeds on WEEI, and I had a chance to meet the man. Great guy. I was really sad at the way he passed. Given his girth, I suppose something like that was inevitable, but that doesn't make it right either. He was the original closer. RIP.
4) Terry Francona hugging Tedy Bruschi after the Ceremonial First Pitch. Glad to see them both back. If anyone doubts that Tedy Bruschi won't do what is necessary to get back on the the field this fall, then shame on you. Tedy Bruschi is the toughest man alive.

3) "Do the Mirabelli" laying the smack down on the Chipmunk, er the Moose. The game ended and the party really started when he slammed that first pitch out. Do the Mirabelli!
2) The cheers for Mariano Rivera. And Mo's reaction. Priceless. I'm glad he reacted the way he did cause if he got pissed and flipped off the crowd, I would have feared for his safety. But he looked like he genuinely enjoyed it. Good for him.

1) Pesky and Yaz raising the flag in centerfield. The only thing that could have made it better was if Teddy Ballgame was there to help out, but I am certain he was smiling down on all of us.

No comments: