Saturday, April 09, 2005

Finally...Paul...has come back to the blog

I'm sure you all missed me this week, about as much as you miss Hitler. Anyways, for those that were looking forward to my early season thoughts, I apologize. Standing on my feet for the better part of 12 hours during Opening Day on Monday took a bigger toll on me than I thought it would. Here are some Opening Week thoughts:

1) Pedro was amazing on Monday.
2) The Rockies had a great win on Opening Day, followed by two heart-breakers. Both games were winnable, and last night's should have been won. The Rox got screwed on the "home run" by Jason Ellison, and the first-base umpire buying Omar Vizquel's slide. He was out. Those two plays cost the Rockies two runs. Finals score: Giants 10 - Rockies 8.
3) Some great games during the opening week. 1-0, 12 innings Pirates vs. Padres game was chief among them. Jake Peavy looked great. The Rockies Opening Day win, the Opening Day Mets vs. Reds game, last night's Tigers vs. Indians game, with David Riske working into and then out of a bases loaded jam in the 8th, the Opening Day 1-0 duel between Mark Buehrle and Jake Westbrook, the 2-1 13 inning affair between the Braves and Marlins, the 12-inning affair between Texas and Anaheim, and of course the Red Sox' 5-run 9th inning vs. Mariano Rivera on Wednesday. And on and on...
4) With each coming year, I am more and more astounded at the activity in my fantasy leagues during the first week. Calm down people! Give guys a chance to play into their seasons! I understand digging for a shortstop or third basemen when Bobby Crosby and Garrett Atkins come up lame, or other such injury replacements. Other than that, you shouldn't have to juggle too much in the first week. If you do, then you had a crappy draft.
5) More to come in about an hour with my AL preview.

No comments: